Adidas cyclocross shoes

I've restored 2 retro cyclocross bikes, so I was in the need for a pair of classic 'cross shoes. I've got a truckload of SPD compatible shoes post 1990, but I've dumped my vintage shoes. So, during the Stalen Ros bike jumble in Neerkant last Sunday, I kept my eyes open for a pair that would fit and yes, I was extremely lucky. I found a pair Adidas cyclocross shoes, new in a box and, although a bit tight, they fit! Exactly the same shoes as I bought new in 1989, when I drove over to the Adidas wholesaler in Belgium.
At that time, these Adidas shoes were just new on the market and considered to be the best of its kind. Nice leather upper, treaded sole with a flat spot for cleats, walking comfort, closure with shoe laces, leather flaps (covering the laces) that are closed with velcro and press-studs. Maybe its predecessor in shiny black leather was a bit better and nicer though, a proof that new isn't always better...
One I joined the Shimano company in 1990, I got the 1st series of PD-M737 off-road SPD pedals and matching SH-M100 shoes. I've tried to drill the soles of the Adidas shoes and fit a pair of SPD shoe cleats. The result was a disaster, because the cleats were not properly sunken in the shoe treads and the soles were too flexible to ride well with the small cleats and pedals. SPD systems require stiff soles. The Adidas shoes were ruined and I think I've dumped them soon after. At that time no real problem, because I got all the shoes and pedals I needed.
Nowadays, when you want a pair of classic 'cross shoes, you have a problem, because they are so damn rare. And modern MTB shoes are a bad combination with cage pedals, toe clips and straps. Because almost all shoes are closed with one or more velcro straps, it's nearly impossible to get into the clips quickly. You either have to look for a pair of (cheaper) shoes with shoe laces only or one higher placed velcro strap, that doesn't interfere with the clips and straps. But the best solution is to look for a set of high end classic 'cross shoes from Adidas, Sidi, Rivat, or an equivalent. Or go clipless with a click-in retention system, but that may be not retro enough for your taste.